The Baldwin School
701 W Montgomery Ave
Bryn Mawr Pa. 19010
The Baldwin School is a college preparatory, independent day school, Pre-Kindergarten through grade XII, dedicated to a tradition of excellence in education for girls and young women. Each girl is encouraged to develop scholarship, leadership, and citizenship within a supportive community that emphasizes intellectual rigor, ethical integrity, and independence of thought and action.
In 1888, Miss Florence Baldwin founded the "Miss Baldwin's School for Girls, Preparatory for Bryn Mawr College" in her mother's house at the corner of Montgomery and Morris Avenues. Thirteen girls were enrolled in the first class. The establishment of the school was frowned upon by many as a "preposterous extravagance" because in the latter part of the nineteenth century the education of a woman still was considered not only unnecessary but also potentially dangerous.
Today, there are more than 4,000 Baldwin alumnae, and they live in nearly every state of the United States and in many foreign countries.
Baldwin still honors the aims set by Miss Baldwin, adapting them to the needs of today. The school's strong commitment to remaining a single-sex institution assures students the opportunity to develop competence and confidence in assuming leadership roles. Because Baldwin students come from many racial, ethnic and economic backgrounds, the school also is committed to the development of its students both as individuals and as responsible members of a community.