Pottstown is a borough 40 miles northwest of Philadelphia and 18 miles southeast of Reading Pottstown was laid out in 1752-53 and named Pottsgrove in honor of its founder, John Potts. The old name was abandoned at the time of the incorporation as a borough in 1815. In 1888, the limits of the borough were considerably extended. Pottstown is the center of a productive farming and dairying region.
The population was 22,377 at the 2010 census, 72.1% White, 19.5% Black or African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 0.1% Native Hawaiian, and 4.4% were two or more races. 8.0% of the population were of Hispanic or Latino ancestry.
The Pottstown School District serves the borough.
The Pottsgrove School District serves a surrounding suburb.
The Owen J. Roberts School District serves the rural area to the south of the borough
Over time, Pottsgrove grew and in 1815, was incorporated under the name Pottstown becoming the second borough in Pennsylvania after Norristown.In 1944, the borough adopted a city manager form of government. By 1964, the borough saw the need to re-organize the municipal government. At the time, it had one of the largest borough councils in the state, with 20 members. This was reduced to seven members in redrawn wards.